A family isn't determined by who is or isn't in it, or how it came to be, but by the bond that is created by the love that is shared.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Home for awhile longer

Looks like I won't be going to Kaz this month as hoped. My LOI was ready, but my child apparently is not.

My agency told me earlier this month that only children over a certain age were available. While still inside my "approved" age range of up to 2 years, my preference has been "young as possible" and my heart has been set on a child that is still more "baby" than toddler. So after several days of soul-searching and agonizing, I have decided to wait until younger kids are off the registry. At this point, it will likely be this summer. Maybe, but no one knows yet, and since I'm traveling blind, I may be faced with the same situation then. I'll cross that bridge....

The other worrisome issues that now arise are the expiration of some of my paperwork, the most important of which will be my USCIS fingerprints. I've already had to do most of my dossier over again, but more delays will likely mean the parts I didn't already redo, and probably all of my travel documents, will need to be redone.

And then there is the increased expense of traveling in summer. Airfare seems to double. And, of course, I had already bought a ton of winter clothes/paraphernalia to take, was also set for spring (layers), but have nothing for Kaz summers, which I hear are unbearably hot (A/C is nearly unheard of) and the accompanying swarms of mosquitoes. Sigh. I don't do well in heat. Bright side? I don't eat much, so maybe I'll drop some poundage!

Believe it or not, I really am trying to be positive about this! Just a little sad, frustrated, and discouraged. I am trying to view this as additional time to get myself, home, baby room, work, daycare, yard, etc. in better shape before KB (Kaz boy) comes home. When I started on this journey over 2.5 years ago (don't panic -- I only submitted my contracts just a bit over a year ago!), my goal was to have little KB home before I turned a certain mid-40's age. Well, that has come and gone and the next birthday will arrive next month. They better be right about kids keeping you young! ;)

6 comments:

wilisons said...

Alysa,

I was in the same boat but opposite with my first adoption. All signs pointed to summer and then there were no baby girls ready until the end of November. Luckily, I save all of the cool summer clothing I had purchased because my 2nd was adoption in August. Maybe you are just preparing for #2 before even realizing it:-)

A Kaz summer is hot and humid but no worse than a Georgia one. Buy the bug spray and some regular screening but be thankful that you won't pay as much in over weight baggage fees to bring summer clothes.

Shanna
mom to Tamar a.12/25/03
and to Libby a.8/6/07

Regina said...

Oh Alysa, I know exactly how you are feeling. As you know we struggled with the exact same decision, since we are both ridign in the same boat -- same agency, coordinator, region and timing. We "tried on" the feeling of a longer wait for an infant, and then we "tried on" the feeling of expanding our parameters for the available children. The second option felt right for us, and the first option feels right for you. There are so many pros and cons to each scenario, but I believe that we both have made the right decisions for our families and we should never look back with regret or wonder. Ok, maybe a little bit of wonder. ;-)

I am sorry that we won't get to meet you in Kaz. But perhaps we'll be leaving just as you are arriving and we will get to at least say hello. Regardless, it's cool to think that our kiddos are hanging out together right now and will be from the same place. They will always have that connection and so I hope that we will stay connected too!

Take care and enjoy this extra time to prepare. :-)

Regina & Frank

Sandi said...

Alysa,

I am sorry that your trip is delayed, and I know I hear it all the time it means your child is not ready.. Does not make the waiting any easier. Hopefully you can enjoy the next few months because no matter how much time you have to prepare, when that LOI comes it is like a hell breaks loose.

I will continue to hope that your LOI comes sooner rather then later.

Sandi

Chris & Christy said...

Ahhh 'KB' I love that! Kaz Boy! So cute! I haven't heard that one used yet and I love it! :)

On another note, my apartment and both of my hotel rooms had a/c so maybe it won't be so bad. Think positive.....and request a/c. :) At least you will be able to take walks and see the sights better than in winter. :) And you will probably get to take your little KB outside during visits, another positive. and you can pack less for you since summer clothes are smaller than winter clothes - see there are tons of positives. I think it is awesome that LMI is letting you in on what is real in Aqtobe now and giving you those choices, even though you are traveling blind. They could just send you now since you requested up to 2 years but instead they are really listening to you! :)

Christy and Z from Aqtobe

Kelly and Sne said...

Wow, Alysa, we are experiencing the SAME thing. We've been waiting to travel blind for an infant - either gender - since mid-January and learned that they wouldn't be 'off the registry' until May now. And I was really hoping to avoid Summer travel as the heat really gets to me. Besides, I had my Winter travel wardrobe all ready! So, instead, it became a very good excuse to go shopping!

Susan said...

hey girl-man, we have a lot of similiaries-we live in florida. I had bought tons of winter clothes since we have NONE. Now, we thought we'd go in may or june or july. Now, we don't know.

but, i still have all the winter clothes and i live in summer clothes all year round, so we're set either way.