A family isn't determined by who is or isn't in it, or how it came to be, but by the bond that is created by the love that is shared.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Yum-Yum

As much as I love Kairat’s smile, his giggles and squeals, and lately his oh so sweet babbling (did I mention I love his voice too?), what absolutely melts my heart is the moments when I hold him and feed him. I so completely understand now why this is one of the best things to do to promote bonding and attachment. Whether or not he is still on a bottle when I return in September, he will be again once we are home.






There is no such thing as high chairs in the orphanage. I have not witnessed the nannies feeding the kids, but I have heard they hold them on their laps, say yum-yum, and shovel the food in at a pretty rapid pace from behind. Sounds bad, but they do have a lot of kids to feed in a short amount of time. From Day One, I’ve been giving Kairat his late afternoon meal of juice and some sort of gruel. It varies from oatmeal, to cornmeal, to cream of wheat, to rice types of concoctions and occasionally I think I have spotted some bits of chicken.


The first couple of times he was wearing more than I managed to get in him, but he quickly got me trained. You really do shove that big spoon most of the way in that little mouth, you don’t stop to wipe the face, hands, clothes, my clothes, or anything else, and you don’t even think about slowing down until it is all gone. And he eats it all.




Cleaning up the face is not such a happy time. ;)



I was told I could bring him some juice and fruit puree. I remember that warm and fuzzy feeling when I fixed the first bottle and rummaged through the baby food display at the grocery store. The bottle is half apple and/or apricot juice and half water, with a dose of vitamins added. It took a little effort the first time. He definitely doesn’t like the apricot juice as much as the apple, and the nipple is much smaller than what he is used to. Now however, he is holding the bottle himself and trying to get it away from him is like trying to wrench a bone out of a dog’s mouth. He won’t give it up! Here’s the look from the first time we tried apple puree with a baby-sized spoon. The second time was classic. He scrunched up his face and shook his head. I so wish I would have had the camera ready. He gets pear or banana now instead.



Tomorrow is my last bonding day with Kairat. I am very sad to be leaving him. Yesterday he actually looked for me and whimpered or crawled towards me if I walked across the room. All of this will be lost during my 5-6 week absence from his life and we’ll have to start over in September. I am glad that he is recognizing me now though. That is a good sign.

On Friday, Regina, Milo, and I head to Almaty. She and Milo will stay there for a week or two as paperwork is finalized. I, however, will be on a 3:20am (yes, AM) flight to Frankfurt Saturday morning. From there I fly to Chicago, then to Denver. All the direct flights from Frankfurt to Denver are still sold out. Sigh.

12 comments:

Susan and Robert said...

Alysa,

Oh my goodness, that's an early flight. Hopefully, that will mean you will sleep on the ride from Almaty to Frankfurt! I love the bottle they use! It looks like medicine!
Susan

Patrick & Eileen said...

Alysa,
I got a little teary-eyed reading this today. I could imagine the warm feeling it gave you to hold, feed, and to buy food/juice for Kairat. How sweet.

I can't believe you're already getting ready to head back home! It seems like you just arrived. Time has flown. I think it's great that you're flying to Almaty with Regina & Milo. You couldn't ask for better flying partners. Yep, not diggin' the time people seem to be leaving the country. It would be difficult to get any sleep beforehand.

Take care and safe travels!
Hugs,
Eileen

Lori said...

You look like a natural feeding him! I still remember trying to get the food in the mouth fast enough to please the baby! He is so beautiful!

Lori

Sandi said...

Alysa,
He is just beautiful. This post brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy that you have found your son. Your 6 weeks home will fly by and before you know it you will be back with your son.

Safe travels
sandi

AJ said...

It is amazing that this part of your trip is closing. It leaves everyone reading your blog with a serene feeling seeing the bonding between you and your baby boy.

How are you going to pass the time between trips? You are going to have a field day attaching a face to your garage sale toy shopping!!!!!

Well, if you can't get a flight out to Denver, there is always a weekend in Chicago :)

AJ

Angela said...

What a great post! I love all of the feeding photos. I have forgotten how great it feels to feed a baby. You have reminding me about one of the million reasons why we are doing this. Now, my baby gobbles down cheese pizza all on his own. Thankfully we get to experience this with our daughter very soon.

That is an early flight out of Almaty - I think return flight leaves at ~1:00 a.m. Guess I will just stay up!

I am sorry that you have to leave for so long. I am. But, at least some of the process is behind you and you are closer to bringing Kairat home.

Grace said...

Alysa,
I have been faithfully keeping up on your blog and LOVE seeing the pictures of your beautiful baby, he is a gem.

Have you decided on a name yet? What about Cole (coal) since that is where diamonds come from. Just a thought.

Fur babies are fine and looking forward to your return....so are the birds!
Have a safe trip,
Grace

Anonymous said...

Alysa,
Kairat is BEAUTIFUL! I've been away and just caught up on all of your recent posts and Kairat's debut. He is gorgeous and it looks like you are both doing wonderful.

Sounds like your "meeting" was so stressful!

I remember when we met Rylie after a minute they were like- so would you like to sign the papers to bond with this child. Of course part of me was like "yes" after 2 seconds of knowing her, but this other part of me was like- "Hello, it takes me 20 minutes to decide on a pair of jeans! You want me to decide on a child after a minute?!?"

I am so glad despite your initial stresses etc. that everything is progressing wonderfully. Have a safe trip home and we'll keep you in our thoughts for a speedy passage of time until you return to your little guy.
All the best!

CamelsNDragons said...

I vote you stay for the entire 6 weeks on trip two. I cannot imagine what I would have missed had I come home (teeth,crawling,cruising) On the weekends when we did not see Bubbette she was very sad and quiet on Mondays. I know she wondered if we not coming as the nannies told us she would get excited when they dressed her for the visits in the mornings. She was starting to anticipate us coming. Also if your child gets sick only you would advocate for them getting and paying for the really good antibiotics from a pharmacy. It will give your son a less traumatic transition. If you get him back to the apartment and then have questions because something is not going smoothly you can easily contact the baby house. The bonding has been amazing because we are stuck in the apartment and I have nothing else to do but focus on her. I think one of the biggest gifts has been what I have been able to learn about her culture and the people because I have come to live here and be a resident for 8 weeks.
All those stories and memories will be priceless to her.

Anonymous said...

The last picture shows off his beautiful eyes even more. It sounds like the lack of high chairs is a blessing, since you get more cuddle time with your little guy.
3:20 a.m....at least you can start getting used to Colorado time for the short time you are home waiting to get back to your little boy. Ugh, my heart sinks when I think of you having to leave him, but know that it is just a short time in a long lifetime together.

HAve a safe trip home.

Heather

Susan said...

Oh Aylsa...he is gorgeous. What a sweet sweet baby boy and that he loves his mommy so much already!! I love his eyes...they melt my heart.
What a dollface!!

We feed leeza lunch everyday.
They drink tea out of a cup.
we take turns, Joe and myself.
Joe is better-today, he fed her without spilling a thing.
In Kostanai, they have them in front of you in a lil chair, and then you are in a lil chair with them pushed up close to you.
Sean has declared Joe is "way better" than me and he looks like a caregiver. :)

I am glad you have Regina and Milo to fly out with. I hope the time flies by for you. I'm sure it will.
Hopefully you can do this in 2 trips and stay with him after court.
I am already seriously considering staying the whole time.
Plus, since my agency stateside is closing, even though i'm done with them, it makes me nervous to leave at all.

Your son is precious. Isn't this just the most amazing thing you've ever done??
I am in awe every day. I'm so happy I don't know what to do with myself. :)

Brown, scalding water and all!!

I am so happy for you that it all worked out. I love his name too. Are you going to keep it? It's a cool name. Leeze most defintely knows her name...so I'm glad i could say it. :)

Chris & Christy said...

Oh My Heavens, those photos of Kairat drinking his baba are awesome! I know that I have said this before, but he is just so darn handsome! Such big sweet expressive eyes! :)

I hope your travels are safe and uneventful. :)

Christy