A family isn't determined by who is or isn't in it, or how it came to be, but by the bond that is created by the love that is shared.

Monday, September 8, 2008

On My Way to Mommyhood - Round 2

I'm leaving for Kaz again today (Tuesday, 9/9). I'm going back a few days before court which is Monday, 9/15, in order to get "prepped" by the in-country team. I'll be able to rest up a bit over the weekend as well. Currently, it looks like I'll be coming back right after court and returning the first week of October. That may change, so I'm packing to stay longer, just in case. If I stay, I'll be there until the first week of October, then returning home for two to three weeks before heading back to pick up my little Kaz Boy.

Last minute frantic-ness ensues. Why is it I had a month to get ready for this trip and am still running around like a crazy woman?!

Things are looking up on the home front, which is giving me some peace of mind. Merlin is doing a bit better, though still not great, but he is eating more and is playful. Not expecting him to return to full health this round, but at least he is a happy cat once again.

My office WILL be moved much closer to where I live when I return from family leave in December. I'm very grateful for my company's willingness to do this for me. My commute will be in the under 20 minute category during the heaviest traffic, rather than 40+ minutes. After 20 years of 60+ minute commutes in California not so long ago, every minute I can shave off seems like a reason to celebrate.

Best of all, my company is now extending maternity/paternity leave to adoptive parents, so I will have 50% of my salary coming in for six weeks after the adoption is final, rather than nothing, which is what I was expecting! Woo-hoo!!

I'm hoping for smooth sailing at court and happy reunion with my baby boy. Wish me luck!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sending happy thoughts! I'm sure your little boy will be thrilled to see you!

Patrick & Eileen said...

You're on your way!! Woo Hoo!

It must have felt good to finally go. Good to hear that Merlin was feeling a bit better.

Great news about your commute and maternity leave. That's wonderful!

Can't wait to hear more once you reach Kaz.

Safe travels, Eileen

Sandi said...

woo hoo Alysa and safe travels., I will be anxiously awaiting your arrival in Kaz and your reunion with your beautiful little man.

Warm wishes
Sandi

Karla and Ben said...

Safe travels Alysa! I'll be checking your blog for updates and new pix!

poobail said...

You are winging your way there as I write this. I was thinking about you today, so I checked in here. Glad I did. Enjoy your time with your little boy, it should be great with more sleep under your belt!
Margaret

Susan said...

i am singing your 'i'm on way song' in your honor!

I am so happy that everything is working out so wonderfully!
From the shorter commute to the PAY for leave....that is sooooooo wonderful!

My hubby is headed back on Friday (just 2 more days!!!) for our court hearing! Our is 9/17, 2 days after yours!
I am sure they will both go JUST GREAT!
Joe is leaving ,and taking Sean with him, on the 18th. Then, he is coming back once we spring Leeza and get her passport to go to Almaty.

I love looking at his picture on your blog on all 4's. He's soooo cute...
I hope you are having a great flight...it's aleady Wednesday so you might be here? It's Wed night in Kaz...

Best of luck and can't wait to hear from you over here!!

xoxoxoo

Angela said...

I am assuming we now reside in the same country. I hope you trip over was smooth.

My personal opinion on the mad rush before the trip is that it just can't be helped and it is a good distraction.

It sounds like things are really good on the home front - all ready for Kairat.

Hope court prep is going well!

Regina said...

Awesome awesome awesome! Love the horoscope from the previous post!

Patrick & Eileen said...

I hope you have or will get internet connection soon! Can't wait to hear how your flights went...etc, etc. Of course info on your little guy would be great too!!

Eileen

Susan said...

hey...checkin on you. It's friday. you're here. well, not in Kostanai, but in kaz.
hope you are with your sweet munchkin right now. :)
thinking of you!!

Kelly and Sne said...

Wow! Lots of reasons to celebrate (I am envious of the paid time off - my company only pays disability to women who birth babies). Happy travels and a wonderful reunion with your boy!