It was inevitable, but I had hoped and prayed it would be many more years before I had to say goodbye to my sweet baby boy, Merlin. His long-term kidney issues finally took their toll on his body and I had to have him put to sleep today. He had been doing great for years (wouldn’t even know he had kidney disease), eating slowed down for about 3 months (and he loved to eat), little rocky for the past month or so, then crashed in the last couple of days. I’m very sad, but I know it was time. In many ways I’m glad the end did come swiftly. I’m also relieved I’m not going to be in Kaz with my new baby boy, yet worrying about my furbaby boy at home.
Merlin was a pound kitty that I adopted nine years ago as a playmate for Callie. I got him after a “disruption” – he had been adopted out, but his fur fell out from stress and they sent him back to the SPCA. That’s when I found him, no fur, kink in his tail, but the cutest little trill, chatter, and cock of the head that won my heart. He came home with me and it has been true love ever since.
He was the perfect cat for Callie and for me. I already miss his talking, his head butts, and his otter-like tummy. He dragged his favorite toy up the stairs and dropped it by the bed every night, then would drag it down to my office every morning. He was loving, playful, curious, adorable, fun, sweet, talkative, and spoiled. Callie and I will both feel his absence. My heart hurts to have lost him, but will always have a special place in it just for him.
So goodbye, sweet Merlin, as you journey to that cat tree in the sky. That warm and wonderful place where Grandma will give you way more treats than you need, serve you “lunch” every day, brush you on command, always have the perfect sunny spot to nap, and play dot with you for hours. We will love you forever.
9 comments:
I'm in tears Alysa. I'm so sorry to hear about Merlin. I know how hard it was for you and how much he was loved.
I am grateful that you were there for him when he needed you the most. I know that is how we felt with our little Misty. As you know we have two kitties here now and currently both are having health problems right now. Being away for a long time worries me because I love them so.
So as you can see I really know how you feel. I am thinking of you!
Hugs,
Eileen
Oh Alysa,
I'm so sorry about Merlin. You've given that kitty more love than one could imagine. I know you will miss him dearly.
I know it is terrible to have to make that decision and will keep you guys in our thoughts.
I can't stand it Alysa but I know God was looking out for you, Merlin and Brady.........you there for Merlin (always) when he needed you; a bit of time to grieve before your time of endless joy...
I will be loving my Mister, Misty, Koko, Apricot and Lady Bug and lot more tonight.
Bev
Alysa,
I am broken hearted to read this post. I am so so sorry and can only imagine your loss. I'm sad Brady won't know him but God has a plan, and sometimes we never fully understand why.
I am praying that once you pick up Brady you will realize why. In the mean time I hope you take some time to reflect and get yourself ready for the biggest change in your life.
Soon life will be so busy and full of love and laughter.
Thinking about you,
Sandi
Oh Alysa, I am so so very sorry. I've been thinking a lot about you in this difficult and crazy time. Everything will fall into place again soon...
Love,
Regina
Alysa I am very sorry. Putting an animal to sleep is so hard to do along with juggling so much right now already. Take care.
Susan
oh sweetie, I love the last picture, so sweet.
Pets are "our babies", so i understand how upset you are.
I have lost a couple cats and it was really hard.
Prayeers with you and safe flights to get your boy..and see you in almaty.
xoxoxoxo
I'm so sorry about Merlin. I bet your other kitty is lonely too.
I've had to do this in the past and am not looking forward to that day with my current brood of furkids.
Oh man Alysa, I am so, so, sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. I lost my beloved Chaya in April, and some days it STILL hurts.
My thoughts are with you.
Post a Comment