A family isn't determined by who is or isn't in it, or how it came to be, but by the bond that is created by the love that is shared.
Friday, May 16, 2008
Cuttin' through the red-tape
My USCIS fingerprints expire in August. Those are the ones that have to be less than 15 months old for the I171H to be valid. That all important document that allows me to bring an adopted "foreign orphan" back into the US. My fingerprints were taken the first time exactly one year ago today. I remember how excited I was. One of many steps towards all the paperwork and background checks I needed to get my dossier off to Kaz.
Anyway, my fingerprints still need to be valid when I submit my I600 (the form that names the "orphan") at the embassy in Almaty. So, even with my rudimentary math skills (fingers!) if I head for Kaz in mid to late June (please, please, please!) and add 6-8 weeks for bonding, court, paperwork processing, I would be cutting that 8/16 date pretty close.
So, I peruse the paperwork that tells me how to renew and they say to contact USCIS 30-45 days prior to expiration. Well, I hope to be in Kaz at that time. Also says I can make an INFOPASS appointment at the Denver office. Woo-hoo! This will be easy. So go online and find the first appointment is 5/22. Okay, that will work. Then read further -- the appointment is just to submit the form that I could send in the mail, and then they will MAIL me the appointment letter. Sheesh!
Back to original paperwork, that also says to contact homestudy agency to "follow through" with any updates. Okay, called them. Didn't really have a clue, but asked me to let them know what I find out. Uh, okay. Thinking they should be paying me now?!
Next, I call the 800 number for USCIS. Surprisingly enough, got a real live person after going 4 or 5 rounds with the automated menu. After explaining twice why I needed to expedite, and getting her to do the math on her fingers, she told me to send an email to the local office and found the address for me.
So, sent an email and within TWO HOURS I received a response saying they would send me the fingerprint invite. That was two days ago, got it today! I can go in anytime now and be fingerprinted again. Wow. Sometimes, even if I had to go around the block a few times first, you discover that there are real people out there that "get it" and will actually help! It renewed my rather jaded faith in the government agencies, bureaucrats, and wielders of red tape that have helped to make this process, well, such a "process." Was a good day.
Anyway, my fingerprints still need to be valid when I submit my I600 (the form that names the "orphan") at the embassy in Almaty. So, even with my rudimentary math skills (fingers!) if I head for Kaz in mid to late June (please, please, please!) and add 6-8 weeks for bonding, court, paperwork processing, I would be cutting that 8/16 date pretty close.
So, I peruse the paperwork that tells me how to renew and they say to contact USCIS 30-45 days prior to expiration. Well, I hope to be in Kaz at that time. Also says I can make an INFOPASS appointment at the Denver office. Woo-hoo! This will be easy. So go online and find the first appointment is 5/22. Okay, that will work. Then read further -- the appointment is just to submit the form that I could send in the mail, and then they will MAIL me the appointment letter. Sheesh!
Back to original paperwork, that also says to contact homestudy agency to "follow through" with any updates. Okay, called them. Didn't really have a clue, but asked me to let them know what I find out. Uh, okay. Thinking they should be paying me now?!
Next, I call the 800 number for USCIS. Surprisingly enough, got a real live person after going 4 or 5 rounds with the automated menu. After explaining twice why I needed to expedite, and getting her to do the math on her fingers, she told me to send an email to the local office and found the address for me.
So, sent an email and within TWO HOURS I received a response saying they would send me the fingerprint invite. That was two days ago, got it today! I can go in anytime now and be fingerprinted again. Wow. Sometimes, even if I had to go around the block a few times first, you discover that there are real people out there that "get it" and will actually help! It renewed my rather jaded faith in the government agencies, bureaucrats, and wielders of red tape that have helped to make this process, well, such a "process." Was a good day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Alysa
That is great news, as I have heard that this is the one issue that hangs many up in Almaty, they do not even know there fingerprints expired and then they end up having to do it in Kaz and wait for it to be approved, and that is a very scary thing. One girls visa expired while she was in country waiting for her new fingerprints and Kaz kicked her out without her daughter.
Mine expire September 15, so I too was wondering as I want to get them updated as soon as I can. I think I will see what I have to do in order to get an appointment here.
Heres to quick fingerprints and a speedy LOI :)
sandi
Alysa,
That is wonderful news! It does get frustrating to not get a live person....but when you do and they *really* help you it's great!
It's hard at times to be on top of things with this process. It would be lovely if everything didn't have an expiration date wouldn't it? ha ha
We're STILL waiting for the last of our paperwork to be apostilled again for the last time. It's making me nervous that we don't have it back yet.
Anyway...great news for you!!
Eileen
I'm so glad you got through to a live person. I could feel your frustration in your post. Hope you get your prints done quickly!
hey Alysa...that is great news! Our were done in July, so I am thinking we will have to do exactly what you did. Now at least I have a clue of where to start for that. :)
I am so thankful for fellow adoptive parents to be like you and others, so that we can all help each other. IT's a lot to keep track of man!!
Alysa, hello from Griffin and me! Hey, a good blogger friend of mine, Jennifer Matasovsky would love to follow along on your blog. When I was in Petro she was FABULOUS and was a big source of help to me as I was sorting things out. She's likely to be of great help to you to, if desired. In any event, if you're open to, she'd love to get an invite to your blog. If helpful, her address is jennifer@kshke.com Best, Susan
Post a Comment