A family isn't determined by who is or isn't in it, or how it came to be, but by the bond that is created by the love that is shared.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Destination, almost.

Hellooooo Almaty!

Well, I made it this far, rather uneventfully, and with all my luggage! Too much luggage, btw, but I knew that before I left the house. Flight was 45 minutes late leaving Denver. We aborted take-off because the brakes had overheated. Heard them and they didn’t sound good. Sweltered on the tarmac for about 30 minutes until they cooled off. Still trying to figure out why we needed brakes to take-off, but I guess it’s a good thing to have working when we land! And have to say that I have never taken an international flight that was not on a 747. This journey was an Airbus 300 (I think). Very uncomfortable seats and legroom left something to be desired. Not as bad as one trip I made on Philippine Air with knees jammed into the seat in from of me for 11 hours straight, however. Apparently, I’m a tad taller than your average Philippine native!

Had a whopping 30 minutes to make the connection in Frankfurt. Have to say those Germans (largely the population on the flight) know how to get off an aircraft in record time. Dankashen! (However you spell that!) Speed-walked with my 800 lb carry-ons to the far ends of the earth, or Lufthansa Terminal B as they called it, and paid $13 (after Euro conversion) for 2 bottles of water as the bus to my plane was boarding. Flight actually landed 30 minutes early in Almaty. Immigration was a breeze. Never a better sight to see (at nearly midnight and after 16 hours in the air) than a beautiful young woman smiling and waving at me through the glass doors on the other side of baggage claim. Marina, the Almaty coordinator, was also waiting for another family that was on my flight. They were headed to Semey today.

I was supposed to go to Aqtobe this morning, however all the flights were sold out. So I’m enjoying the comforts of the air-conditioned hotel, the scenery in the surrounding blocks, and will be on the early flight tomorrow. Once I arrive, I should go to the babyhouse for the big event. I’m thankful for the day of rest and preparation, but am worried about another day of other families arriving in the region and selecting children. I was told to get here as fast as possible for this reason. Very much first come, first served (as awful as that sounds) in Aqtobe blind travel. More on the process a bit later.

I managed to get some dollars exchanged for Tenge and had some fun with my very first excursion to a Kazakh grocery store. Wandered the aisles a bit and saw many familiar brands. Good when you can’t read the labels! Bought some yogurt, water, juice and not-so-fresh pastry (I failed to notice the 5-days-ago date on the bag). I was again reminded of Manila by the large number of employees in the grocery store. Several “stations” for different things all manned by a clerk, a woman at the front door to check your bags (apparently theft is a problem here), and various people straightening/stocking shelves, while other employees just walked around, or watched, or lurked. Seems many are employed, but likely all at a pittance.

Traveler Tip: With the focus on the crisp new bills we adoptive parents are told to bring, it didn’t occur to me to bring a few small clean bills for tips. I arrived too late to exchange for tenge at the airport. The bellhop kid was quite impressive. He hauled all my luggage at once up to the 4th floor (what is an elevator?) and got a few US dollars in return. I do hope the currency exchangers will accept the bills – it was all I had.

Selection Process
For those of you that are scratching your heads at “selection process” and “blind travel” this is what I am talking about: In Kazakhstan, children available for adoption are only selected by prospective parents after the parents meet them in person. There is no official “referral” process as is typical in most other countries. This means I have no information at all (zero, zilch, zip) about the specific children I will be shown. The local officials know that I have been approved for a child of either gender up to 2 years of age, and that I may consider minor correctable health needs. I am hoping for a boy under 12 months old. Boys are more readily available than girls, but my primary concern is health.

Tomorrow, I expect to arrive in Aqtobe mid-morning, be taken to my apartment to drop off my luggage, quickly change my clothes, then head off to start the selection process. It is also possible I will go straight from the airport to the orphanage. At some point I will be interviewed by a representative of the Ministry of Education (the government agency that oversees adoptions in Kaz), then will meet the orphanage director. I will likely be asked a few questions about myself and the child that I desire, then a handful of children will be brought to me one at a time. From other blogs I have followed in Aqtobe, I expect to see no more than 3 children and also expect that one or more may be outside of my age range or have serious health issues. For many of these kids, the only real chance they have of being adopted is to meet prospective families. It will not be easy to “turn down” any child, but I completely understand why they may be brought to me. I know my limitations as a single first-time parent, and have to make the best choice for the child and myself. I will have a few minutes to interact with each child, then will make my decision to “bond” with one of the kids. “Bonding” is the mandatory 15-day period in which I will visit the child every day for a few hours before I am eligible to petition the court to adopt. If for some reason there is not a child that I am willing to start bonding with, my agency will attempt to send me to another region where other children may be available. This doesn’t happen often, but it is a Plan B if absolutely necessary.

So, I’m chillin’ and dozing today, reviewing some notes on the do’s and don’ts of the selection process, trying not to stress (actually doing a fairly good job of that), figuring out what I can possibly abandon/offload on the hotel housekeepers to lighten my ridiculous load ;), and am ready and waiting to go find my child. Gives me chills and still seems so very surreal. Cross your fingers, say a few prayers, and keep the good thoughts coming that all goes well tomorrow.

14 comments:

Susan and Robert said...

Hi Alysa,

I am glad you made it safe and sound....almost :>

I wish you luck with the whole selection process. I am a nervous wreck about it also but it seems to work so keep the faith. I really believe God is in control of these things more than we know.

I will be thinking of you the next day and can't wait to read your next blog!!

Susan

Patrick & Eileen said...

Hi Alysa,
I'm so glad you arrived safe and sound. I think it's great that you do get to rest in Almaty a bit. Whew....what a very close connection in Frankfurt.

I know you'll do just fine tomorrow. I so can't wait to hear how things go for you. I'll be stalking :)

I know that Regina is looking forward to meeting you as I'm sure you are with her. How cool is that!!

Take care and travel safely.
Eileen

Susan said...

hey girl! YAY!! SO GLAD you made it with your ton of luggage. How much did you pack? that is my next attemmpt. :)

I am so glad you made your connection. :)
That is great news.

I'm glad immigration was easy. That is another concern of mine.

So glad to hear from you--you're doing awesome. :)

SO SURREAL is it not?? wow. :)

Baby Kaz Moore said...

I'm sending you best wishes from India!! I can't wait to read your next entry. Take care, Susan and Grifin

Veronica said...

I'm so glad its been a safe and relatively smooth trip so far.

The extra day will give you a chance to catch your breath, especially afer lugging around all that luggage ;)

Thanks for taking the time to write the update. It's so wonderful that your friends have the opportunity to share in this exciting experience.

We're praying for you. Stay strong.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that your travels went smoothly. Maybe it is just a sign that this whole process will go well. I can't wait to hear how the selection process goes. I'll be thinking of you and sending good vibes from the states.

By the way, every time I read your blog, we all dance to your song :)

Angela said...

Hey! Glad you made it! I love reading your blog and Regina's blog - there will be a merger tomorrow. Lots of luck with the selection process. You sound like you have a great attitude and are in good spirits.

I spent the day trying to arrange for flights - ARGHHHHH! I felt I needed to be a rocket scientist just to complete that task.

FrankN said...

Alysa,
This is truly an amazing journey. Thanks for letting us know you made it and; by the sound of it, doing amazingly well for such a journey and stupendous undertaking.

Best wishes on getting a flight to Aqtobe and getting first in line to meet a child of your choice.

This is an amazing undertaking for you and worthy of your blog and perhaps a book deal and movie in the future.
Take care and a prayer.
fn

Kelly and Sne said...

Wow - you did leave in a hurry! Sorry I missed it but I haven't been able to keep up with the blogs as I'd like with a cute little boy constantly tugging at my legs (you will soon have this "problem" too!). I can relate to the heart-pounding, anxiety-producing adreline-rushing feeling after the call when you have too little time to prepare to go! But I'm glad to see that you pulled yourself together and had a fairly uneventful trip. I love your description of the Almaty grocery and can't wait to hear what you have to say about the rest of your stay!

Best of luck with meeting your little one tomorrow. Don't stress too much about the "hurry up and get over here" message as we heard the same and no one else showed up for 2 weeks (and even then, she transferred from another region). Besides, we in Semey (and beyond) were simply amazed at how everyone seems to be ultimately matched with the child that is meant to be theirs. All the best in finding yours.

poobail said...

Yay Alysa! One step closer. I looked at the world clock and see that there is a 12 hr difference between here and Almaty. It's 9 pm here so I figure you are on your plane ride to Aqtobe to meet Regina and your lil Kaz cutie. Good luck, remember to breathe and trust in the process.
Margaret

Sandi said...

Hi Alysa,

I am so happy that you arrived in Almaty safe and sound.

I read you will be crashing with regina for a few days that is great. I think having someone there in the beginning will be so helpful. I'm looking forward to you meeting your child. Its already 10am there so hopefully your on your flight to Aqtobe.

Best wishes.. (keep breathing)

sandi

Unknown said...

Alysa!
You made it!! Glad to hear it was an uneventful flight. Amazing to get it all together within 48 hours.

You sound real good.

Best wishes on the selection process!
Elizabeth

Chris & Christy said...

Yahoooooooooooooooo what a great post! I can't wait to keep reading about your journey! :):):)

Christy

Kathy Meyer, RVT said...

Alysa, So glad everything is going well so far! How exciting! Just wanted to let you know that Merlin and Callie say HI and that they are doing very well. They send lots of kitty kisses your way:) Thanks for the updates - all is well here! Kathy Meyer