We journeyed to Kok Tobe this afternoon to get the full view. Brady was a cranky boy from the time he woke up and still is! We are going to try a pre-9pm bedtime tonight and see what happens. Wish me luck.
Anyway, Kok-Tobe should definitely be on the don't miss list for those yet to travel to Almaty. I was only there for an hour, but you could easily spend a bit longer. There are a couple of restaurants and snack bars, a small zoo (I hate seeing animals caged), several gift shops, a playground, a rollercoaster-like ride on the side of the hill, and a wonderful view. Cranky Boy made it not so fun, as after about 20 minutes in the stroller he started screaming and twisting and Mom was getting stared at by the other visitors like she had grown horns and a forked tail. I carried him for awhile after that, then headed back down the hill.
First, I'm not a fan of gondolas. I'm always pretty sure that measly little hook thing is going to slip right off that cable. A very full, standing room only gondola, I like even less. And then to have a squalling baby to add to the fun... But it was worth the trip.
Somehow I missed the Beatles statue. I'm not sure where it was, but I didn't find it, and was back to the entrance before I remembered to ask. I know it is a KAP (Kaz Adoptive Parent) tradition to have your picture taken with John and boys. Darn! I'll just have to steal one off another blog and Photoshop us in! ;)
Uh-oh, Leeza! This little girl was quite enamored with Brady while we waited for the gondola. She kept pulling the pacifier out of his mouth. Girl after my own heart!

Where the gondola drops off and picks up at the top of the hill.

From the viewing platform. It was browner than the pictures appear.



A serene spot with waterfalls and fountains near The Bar and Grill, which appeared to be closed.
A cute little mushroom stool picnic table.
The playground.

The Rockies are pretty, but don't hold a candle to these mountains. It's hard to capture just how beautiful they really are through the haze.

The view while waiting to depart.
Seriously. First smile and giggle the entire time, right before we got back on the gondola to leave.
3 comments:
first of all, I don't believe that sweet Brady could ever be crabby...it must be cuz he missed his girl Leeza. She is quite cranky herself trying to deal with her days and nights getting mixed up. She sleeps now...but i fear tonight she may not..yikes....
the beatles was on the right on the way out...you can use our photo and photoshop ya'll in. :)
I liked Kok Tobe too-it was very pretty but was amazed at the view of the smog! We had lunch for 6500 tenge too-it was good-but not worth THAT!
I know the feeling of everyone givin you the hairy eyeball with your poor kid screaming-the packed waiting room at the almaty airport at 3 am waiting for the 3:20 flight that was delayed to 3:50...Leeza decided to only sleep from 9 pm to 10 pm and wait up with us....and got super overtired and screamed SO LOUD for about 10 minutes, or maybe 10 hours...it wasa painful and people's looks were scaring me more than her screams. :)
Tell Brady to be sweet cuz Leeza is his own girl. :)
Well, he doesn't look too cranky in that last photo! In fact, what a smile! Perhaps he is getting more teeth???
We loved Kok Tobe too. I wanted to go back again but found the gondola to be a little pricey. WE had the same problem with an over-tired cranky boy up there. If you hate caged animals do not go to the zoo. They are really sad and pathetic. So, when are you coming home?
Whoa, Kok-Tobe looks a lot hazier than when I was there. Sorry to hear Brady didn't enjoy the trip (maybe he missed Leeza) and that you missed the Beatles. They kind of jumped out at me when I was about to leave, so they're easy to miss!
Glad to hear you're coming home early!!!!
Post a Comment