A family isn't determined by who is or isn't in it, or how it came to be, but by the bond that is created by the love that is shared.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Baby Times ala Almaty

Between Brady and dial-up in the 9-23mbps range I haven't had a chance to post much. This one has been in work for several days. Despite the blogger posting date, it is actually Tuesday here.


Personality Plus

I am the first to admit I know little to nothing about babies. This is called a crash course, trial by fire, sink or swim… you get the picture. One of the many things I didn’t know is just how much personality a 10-month old little boy has, how quickly he can learn, and how Mommy has had to pay the price for a few things she has started herself. Case in point: in Aqtobe there was a light fixture above the bed and he, with his fixation on cords of any type, would pull himself up hanging on to the headboard, then reach for the cord and start tugging. Mommy, in her infinite wisdom, pulled him back and across the bed by his ankles. Giggling and squealing ensued. It only took two times and it became the new game. Every time we would go to bed, he would make a beeline for the cord giggling the entire way in anticipation.


He knows “boll mite” which is the Kazakh phrase for “put that down” or “don’t do that”. Not quite sure, but he knows what it means. Unfortunately, after the 3rd repeat of the phrase in any instance, he thinks this blue-eyed blonde sternly saying boll mite is extremely funny. The more I say it the more he laughs. Sigh.


So far it has become clear that Mommy’s cell phone, the TV remote, my camera, mouse, and especially the laptop are his favorite playthings. Means trying to use any of them within eyesight of the munchkin can be a challenge. He’ll drop anything and everything, or drag whatever is in his hand along, so he can play with the shiny toy. I was hoping the expensive electronic toys were a few years away yet!


Have I mentioned his favorite play time is after 8pm? It’s like he gets a second wind. While most babies his age are getting ready or are already in bed, this one gets even more animated. The squealing, babbling, playing, crawling, bouncing, cruising, etc. increases tenfold! Need to get this playtime to kick in earlier!


He’s also the proverbial Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I’m still thinking he may have an ear thing going on. This afternoon he started sticking his thumb in his ear and twisting it. He also started crying while I was feeding him – like every bite hurts. I know that an earache can feel worse when swallowing. Tylenol seems to help, but we need to get rid of the infection if there is one, not just treat the symptoms. He isn’t napping well at all and is majorly cranky too, but has been playing like a happy camper for the past 2 hours without a care in the world. Really hard to tell what is transition, lack of naps, teething, cold, or, more likely, a combination of them all.


Any suggestions on how to get him to stop biting me? I know much of it is just his natural tendency to bite everything right now because of the teething, but I’ve got tooth-marks all over my shoulder, collarbone, arms, wherever he can nip. Add that to the bruises and I am pretty sore all over!


Goodbye Aqtobe

Brady did very well on his first plane trip. He was fascinated with what was going on outside the window while we were still on the ground. Once in the air, he fell asleep in my arms for about an hour. He would have stayed asleep, except Mom, having purchased an extra seat in order to alleviate a lack of circulation to her legs with a baby on them for hours at time, tried to move him to the empty seat. Squalling and wide awake within 3 seconds flat. There was lovely and sweet lady named Dana in the aisle seat, who just loved Brady. She is from Aqtobe, works for a petroleum company headquartered in Houston, and travels to the US often. She gave me her email address and asked to keep in touch.


Hello Almaty

The Almaty apartment is comfortable. It has 4 rooms that open off a square hall. Each room is painted a rather intense color: purple, Kaz blue, marine blue, and dark pink. One room, which is likely a second bedroom, has become our “staging” area. That’s where diapers and clothes are changed and laundry is hung to dry. We visit often. ;)



Wednesday, October 15th is a big day here in Kaz. It’s the day the government throws the switch and heat is to be had! Hard to fathom having the government control whether you have heat in your home. Doesn’t seem to matter the temperature either. Schedule says 10/15 is the date it comes on, so that is the date it comes on.Frankly, I can’t wait. It isn’t exactly cold (I hear there have been snow showers already at home), but the highs are in the low 60s and the apartment is drafty and gets chilly at night. I had to move the crib further from the windows and put a padded mat against it to help block the draft. I know I need to be careful what I wish for though, as there is no way to control the heat and it can go from freezing to sweltering inside within hours.


There is remodeling going on in the apartment directly above us too. It starts by 7:30 in the morning and doesn't stop until 6 or so in the evening. Lots of hammering and sawing. No wonder I can't get him to nap!


Sunday we went to the flea market and bought a stroller and a walker. The stroller is the cheap versions we hear about. It has no storage at all, only a lap belt, and is pretty rickety overall. The coordinators here are pretty set on finding things that are inexpensive, but my willingness to pay more for better quality didn't seem to register. Plus, I wanted to browse, but it seemed we were there for a purpose: get in and get out. I bought things at four stalls and we were there less than 25 minutes -- most of that was waiting for the lady to put the walker together for us. I may ask to go back another day when they can drop us off and pick us up later. I had my first real tug at the heart Mommy moment here. We plopped him in the stroller, the nice ladies at the shop were playing with him while Kate and I looked at walkers next door (next door is only about 8 feet away. He got scared and started crying and looking for me. I walked over and picked him up, he hung on and stopped crying. All was better once Mommy was there. Awww.


Anyway, the stroller took some getting used to via a couple of rounds in the apartment, but once outside, Brady was fine in the stroller. The apartment backs up to a pedestrian mall and there is a nice large grocery store a couple of blocks away. He fell asleep in the store. It is a challenge to cross streets and find sidewalks and dodge potholes and cracks and very uneven surfaces, but we managed.




I was also visited yesterday by the man that all the in-country staff ultimately report to in Kaz. He happened to be in town (lives in Florida) and as chance has it, I had also carried a package from his wife over for him. He was interested in talking to me about my experience and any suggestions I might have. I was happy to provide my input. He was a lively character and seems to run a pretty tight ship.


Today we went to the Ramstore and did more grocery shopping! We’re set for awhile, but I had to change formulas on Brady, so hope it goes well. I brought some, but had no idea how many bottles (3) he would get each day, so quickly ran out. They don’t have Similac here, so settled on Nestle.


Tell me something; is there a diaper out there that doesn’t lose its contents on a regular basis?? I’ve tried Pampers (required by the babyhouse), a brand called Libero at the suggestion of Gulnara’s daughter, and bought Huggies today. Sheesh. I’m REALLY glad I brought a pair of plastic pants! I got them for the plane trip, but they have come in very handy so far!


One more question: Who is the sadistic SOB that came up with the teething biscuit? Great idea, and Brady loved his first one, but OMG the mess! It sticks to everything!


Even with the crabbiness and hard time napping, and whatever else is making him cranky, and having to get up every few hours to heat a bottle and feed a sleepy little guy, things are going much better than I had expected. Yep, I’m tired (the interrupted sleep is the culprit), but am enjoying every minute with my darling boy. Last night was good. He was asleep before 11, fussed at 4 so I gave him a bottle and changed him, then we both slept until 8!! Woo-hoo!! Just put him down for a nap. He fussed for about a minute and now is babbling away. Hopefully he'll drift off soon. Mom needs a shower before our photo shoot for the embassy later today.


7 comments:

Susan said...

Alysa, GREAT POST! Brady is SO FREAKING CUTE!

and, hey, that is how WE ALL learn to be parents.....sink or swim baby....but you are SWIMMING girl!

i AM so proud of you!!! You are doing amazing and your attitude is wonderful. :)
I will admit, it's A LOT easier the "second time around." I was really nervous when Sean was a baby, but having Leeza has been way easier-practice makes perfect. However, every kid is differnet and in some ways , she is MUCH easier than Sean ever was -which I attribute to the baby house, and her age (potty training, and her incredible sleep schedule) but she has much more of a temper than Sean ever did. I don't recall nearly as many spaz attacks from him, but then again, he never had to put a snowsuit on either.
We are both learning together...but it always amazes me, (2nd time aroudn or NOT!!) how VERY smart kids are. Leeza knows NO and she knows what I don't allow...yet she is "CUNNING LIKE A FOX"

It's also so interesting how differnet baby houses feed the kids, but, Leeza is older than your bundle of adorableness, so that also makes sense. They take them off the bottle at 9 months, think, and she won't eat baby food at all.

Anyway, I will wrap this up, but I wanted to say that I am so very excidted to meet you, and I would love to spend longer hours at the market with you. :) Is it close enough to walk? I'm clearly spoiled being in such a small town in Kostanai where we walk to EVERYTHING.

I'm glad the heat is turned on the day we get there. The heat was turned on here a couple weeks ago.
Joe was just saying last night, as we opened a window cuz we were both hot, how WEIRD it is that you can't adjust the thermostat! Just part of the whole "Kazotic" experience I guess! :)

I love your apartment-it looks very spacious and I love the color scheme. :)

Brady is sooooooooooooooo very adorable and I can't wait to meet him and YOU, his most amazing and brave mommy.
It does really sound like he has an earache or something....hope you get him to the clinic soon to figure that out and get him some meds to knock it out.

So happy to hear that you both had a good night's sleep-I hope that Leeza's sleeping schedule goes UNINTERRUPED once we get to Almaty cuz it's been great so far.

He is really a darling darling boy and you are his darlin sweet brave MAMACITA.

I really want to souvenir shop with you..
oh, did you happen to notice any pack and plays or play pens at the market? I wonder if we could get a cheap one for Leeza to sleep in while we're there.

xoxoxo

Lori said...

Alysa,
Brady is a doll, I love the pictures! I am so glad to see your post and hear that you are both doing well. If you are concerned about the ear you might try and get an appointment at the SOS clinic. The appointment their for his visa is pretty cursory but I took Madina an extra time for some concerns and they did a very thorough check up.

Enjoy your final days in Kazakstan!

Lori

Susan and Robert said...

Alysa,

Glad the heat is coming on! You will probably be sweating now :>

Davis did the whole bitting thing and what worked for us if when I was holding him and he went to bite I would say No bite and put him down and walk in the other room. He hated me to put him down and leave and it ended quickly after a few times. Yes, those teething biscuits are awful! When you get back in the states, the "puffs" are bite size and not messy. Also, the teething toast is slightly less messy! I had a problem with Davis also with Diapers. Have you tried either going down a size or up? Maybe they are too big or too small. In either case, they will leak.

Enjoy your time! Still no word on us but maybe we will cross in the airport :>

Susan

Baby Kaz Moore said...

So glad to see a post and lots of photos! Brady is so adorable. Mr. Personality! You're going to get lots of oohs and aahs when you return. It's a lot of fun!!

On the biting question, I had a biter, too. Argh. The first time, it's kinda funny but after that it's not fun. I started backing away when Griffin wanted to kiss me because I wasn't sure if it was going to be a slobbery kiss or a nick out of my cheek. Griffin's biting was due to teething and some to oral sensory issues, which I think he still has. His OT says he needs to "wake his mouth up". Fortunately, once his teething stopped so did his biting. But it took about 2-3 months. He continues to mouth everything so I try to give him good things to gnaw on.

On the diapers question, I love Pampers Cruisers. I'm not sure how they're physically different than other Pampers, but I swear by them. They're on sale at Target fairly often.

I hear you about the biscuts! I don't buy them anymore. Instead, Griffin loves the less messier Gerbers "wheels" and "sticks" (like Cheetos but without the powder). They're a staple in the diaper bag. Unfortunately, I doubt you'll see them in Kaz.

Counting the days down!! Take care, Susan

Baby Kaz Moore said...

Oh yeah, I read the comment before mine. "No Bite" and putting him down helped, too. I forgot about that. I guess I've just mentally blocked the whole biting phase out of my mind because it was a tiring time for me.

Kelly and Sne said...

You sound like a real Mom now! And I'm happy that you had a 'bonding' moment too when Brady cried for you. I am also glad to see that you are in the good apartment. We changed to this apartment and were very happy we did. You might want to try turning on the fan only in the bedroom during the nap for a little white noise.

Also, when Miras used to bite, we were very stern and said "No biting" while looking in his eyes sternly and holding his face in our hand so he knew that we were serious. It took a little while but eventually he got it. Now he'll bite my clothing once in awhile but not me any longer.

We had the same issues with sleeping as you are having in Almaty. It will get better. We stuck to a nap schedule but if he woke up early or wouldn't sleep after 30 min of trying, we just let him stay up. Eventually he was tired enough so he slept on a schedule. By the way, that works on the plane too. Miras wouldn't sleep anywhere but on me on the plane until the 2nd and 3rd legs when he was so exhausted that he slept anywhere.

Also - I understand that when they teeth it can make their ears hurt so maybe Brady is getting a new tooth? Finally, Miras is also obsessed with remote controls and cell phones (and calculators and anything else electronic). In fact, at daycare they have an old cell phone (sans battery) for the kids to play with. We just wiped the remotes and cell phone with a wet wipe and let him slime them. He did learn fast how to change the channels but otherwise can't really hurt them. I hope all of this helps as we were in your situation not too long ago - parenthood by experiential learning half way around the world.

Have fun in Almaty!

Regina said...

Beautiful Brady!

Cool apartment!

Oh the biting...we'll have to have a long conversation about that one!

As far as the diapers, try getting a smaller size. Sometimes they are made so darn long that even if they fit well around the waist the butt sags and the elastic around the legs stretches too much. Good luck and good thinking with the rubber pants! Lesson learned from my / our experience with Milo on the plane I'm sure. Pew!