A family isn't determined by who is or isn't in it, or how it came to be, but by the bond that is created by the love that is shared.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

The sun was shining early this morning and it was beautiful Fall day in Almaty. Mom got a shower early, Brady got a bath (and didn’t cry through the entire thing, which was pretty short), we did 2 loads of laundry, reorganized the odds and ends still in various suitcases and tote bags, took a nap, went for a stroll on the walkway, and did some grocery shopping. All in all, a very good day!


Here are some photos of the pedestrian walkway outside my apartment building (it's actually the one with the rainbow painted on the corner). When it isn’t raining (which it has been for the last couple of days) there are vendors selling paintings. They also have some gorgeous fountains, but today they were being cleaned so weren’t turned on. Maybe I’ll have a chance to get those photos tomorrow.


Brady is not fond of hats. As we were walking a couple of women laughed as they were coming towards us. I looked down and Brady’s little hands were pulling at the hat. It was clear down almost to the tip of his nose! Happened twice despite my best efforts to make sure he could see. It was kind of cute, even the women that pointed and said something were smiling. At least I wasn’t getting yelled at because he wasn’t wearing a snowsuit!



I’m stocked up on jars of baby food. I planned to cook for Brady, but frankly I’m just barely cooking for myself. They have a good selection of baby food at the local stores and the chicken, turkey, rice, veggies, fruit, and various combinations have to be more nutritious than the cereal and juice he was living on in the orphanage. I’m still giving him some cereal, juice, kefir, and baby yogurts for variety. So far, he has liked everything and it seems to agree with him. I’ve tasted everything too and they are pretty good. In fact, if it didn’t take 8 jars to make a meal, I might join him! The peaches and cream are especially yummy. We stopped at Baskin Robbins for ice cream today too, but he had just fallen asleep, so Mommy had to eat it all.


We tried out the rickety highchair today and it was a hit. There is no tray, but there is a strap. I sit in front of him and don’t move with him in it. Don’t trust it, but it is easier than holding him on my lap. He’s so cute when he eats. He gets so excited and slaps the table, kicks his legs, and says all kinds of things. I need to get it on video.



Something new today. Here’s the view. I’ve been chased by a baby all day. That sounds mean, and I felt mean, but there are simply some things I cannot do while holding him. Fixing hot food, using the bathroom, etc. has required out-running him, or turning him around and sitting him down. Whimpers and crying is usually the result, but what’s a Mom to do?!



BTW, is there some rule in babyland that says you always poop right after Mom has fixed her own breakfast, lunch, or dinner and is getting ready to eat? I’m pretty sure there must be, because we haven’t broken that rule for at least 3 days!

4 comments:

Angela said...

Sounds like a delightful day. Glad the eating is going well. Don't get too stressed about making your own food! I can't quite imagine doing that during this very transitional time!

I am happy to report that I have not had that experience with poop timing - I feel for you though!

Kelly and Sne said...

Glad you had a great day. My philosophy was one outing a day - we couldn't handle any more than that. It really was a change since Sne and I are seasoned travelers and would have been going from dawn to dusk - but not with a baby who is adjusting to his new life!

I'll bet the day was especially good after the no-sleep day prior. Don't worry though, he will wear himself out eventually and sleep without too much fuss. You just have to outlast him! And we got a lot of mileage out of the washing machine too - too bad we don't have a front loading one at home. Sorry that you have to be there another week. I can remember when we thought we were going to have to stay just one more day and boy was I disappointed.

Also - if you haven't tried it out yet, there is a cafe just at the end of the apartment complex on the walkway that has great sturgeon (and grilled veg) kebab and cheese bread (like a stuffed pizza). IT is a little spendy but worth it and you can get a side of mashed potatoes for Brady plus a few bites of your fish. And there is a great pizza/pasta place just one block up on the next street that parallels the walkway (Marina knows it). It was a bit gourmet - like home - and does carry out. Of course all restaurants have english menus there too which is nice. Finally, across the street from the pizza/pasta place is a grocery with a bunch of street stands that sell great plov (as well as lamb-pitas) and another one sells broasted chicken for carry out only. We had several meals of this. And Brady should be able to eat roasted chicken if you cut it up small for him.

Susan said...

he is SO CUTE! and i know the feeling-Leeza only wants mommy even when daddy is here to help. :)

she is no longer a picky eater though-she will eat ANYTHING and everything now.I even got some baby food (even though she will eat our food) as I am looking for food on the plane to feed her in case the food plane is lame and not enough (the girl can eat!!!) and she ate it this time. YAY!!
I guess i just had to earn her trust. We don't have a stroller, so I hold her, or feed her while she sits on the potty.

leeza "potties" shortly after every meal-very convenient for mommy...

we met these american pilots for Air Astana today at lunch. they were SO nice AND REALLY friendly and told us all kinds of placed to go and see. :)
we went to a musuem nearby today that was really interesting.

can't wait to hook up tomorrow. :)

Regina said...

I'm glad you are enjoying the pedestrian street. It's pretty neat, and there are often musicians playing there. I let Milo throw coins into the fountains, and ever since then if we see a fountain he whines for a coin! :-) I bought a small painting from a vendor there for Milo, but I negotiated her down from 5000 tenge to 3000 tenge. Don't pay full price!

I hope handsome Brady starts getting some beauty sleep soon or he might lose those good looks -- although I seriously doubt that will ever happen. Cute is cute, sleep or not!

Hang in there and do what you have to do to get by. Don't feel guilty about the baby food from a jar. He is still getting good nutrition and you are getting a few precious extra minutes. There will be plenty of time for cooking once you are home. You're getting closer!