A family isn't determined by who is or isn't in it, or how it came to be, but by the bond that is created by the love that is shared.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Leeza and Brady Unite!

At long last, Brady finally met the girl of his dreams! The beautiful blue-eyed princess, Leeza Grace of Kostanai (and soon to be Florida). After a couple of days of phone fiascos and official business taking precedent, Susan and Joe and I, with our Kaz kids, met up at the Tsum store to do some souvenir shopping this afternoon. We've been following each other's blogs for months now and it was great to have the chance to meet in person. Leeza was just as adorable as her pictures with that soft blond hair and dazzling blue eyes. I have to say those eyes are even bluer in person than in any pictures. She's adorable! She's kinda looking at Mom here though, wondering why the kid pretending to be a teddy bear has his elbow in her ear! We've made plans to journey to Medeo (a beautiful valley in a national park in the mountains) tomorrow.


The Tsum store is definitely THE place for souvenir shopping for anything Kazakhstan. I just browsed today, but will go back in the next few days to contribute to the local economy. I had to laugh that they had many stalls with both luggage and souvenirs, or luggage next to the souvenirs. I may need to buy another suitcase to get all the things I wanted to buy home!

Latest on the Brady-meister. We had our SOS clinic appointment yesterday. He did really well, only started to cry when the doctor was trying to examine him. Once I took off his too-warm fleece shirt and he cooled down he was just fine. The doctor (Russian, I think) said his ears looked fine, but he did have an irritated throat. That might explain the day we had yesterday. He was a cranky, cranky baby all day and barely napped. Today was much better.

I have to say it is really fun to have total strangers at the grocery store tell you how cute your baby is, even when they say it in Russian! Proud mommy moments! It is still kinda weird though. I still don't feel like Brady's mother. I think the fact that we are still in Kaz is partly the reason. My world's haven't merged yet.

I've discovered he isn't quick to rise and shine. I need to give him time to wake-up and get happy before we start changing diapers, clothes, feeding, whatever. One of my favorite times of day is right after he wakes up in the morning. I bring him on to the bed and we cuddle and play before we get up and tackle the day. It is a little heartbreaking still though. When he first wakes up he has a very disoriented look on his face. I can tell he is still expecting to see familiar Kazakh faces and isn't quite sure who I am or where he is. After a few moments, I usually get a smile though.

So how long before he starts walking? He's been "crawling" like this off and on, usually over the uneven door thresholds, since I picked him up in Aqtobe. It's cute and funny to watch.


Mentioning which, Marina told me today that Brady's passport should arrive in Almaty either Thursday or Friday, which means we can go to the US Embassy either Friday or the following Monday. Once we have been to the Embassy to take care of the visa paperwork, we are free to head home. My current flights are booked for Tuesday, the 28th. I expect we will be here for the duration. There are moments when it seems like forever, but at the same time, it is a little like living in a fantasy world with no obligations or demands on my time except from the little one. We will never have this opportunity again, so even without the luxuries of home, I want to enjoy the rest of our days in this wonderful city.

2 comments:

CamelsNDragons said...

I recognize that washing machine.
That apartment was in a good location except for the rock bands on the plaza at night. Have you been to Gorky Park yet. The parks in Almaty almost rival Central Park in New York. I recommend the National History Museum for learning about the culture and history of Kaz. Regina and I did it in less than an hour with the kids. I wish we could have done the art museum but it was closed.
Its all down hill from here and you are in the home stretch. I remember the relief I felt when that airplane landed at DIA. FYI it is a long walk from your gate to customs, leave all baby food on the plane, expect to be pulled out of line at customs for a private interview which might take awhile if there are people waiting ahead of you. It took me over an hour to get through customs. Do not be afraid to ask for help during the flight, it will not be offered to you just because you are traveling with a baby. I was shocked at how rude people were and I wish I had been more proactive for myself. My strongest and most emotional memory is of the two Muslim Women from Tajikistan who volunteered to help me on that long walk to customs. I was so grateful to them. BEst wishes for an easy flight home, Lesley

Susan said...

where was Lesley talking about going thru Customs>? In Frankfurt or in the us?

I think Brady will be walking soon! I didn't think Leeza would be, and granted, she hasn't taken steps since that one day in Kostanai, but she is working up her nerve. they tend to do things when we least expect it.

Brady is so adorable and yes, even cuter in real time. I think that pic is NOT very good of Leeza-she looks swallowed up in the ergo...maybe from being in it since 1 pm that day!!

yOU WILL BE home before you know it. We just waited in Kostanai until we got her passport, which is why we are here shorter than you are. I had Leeza in Kostanai with me a week and a half before we left.

can't wait to see you today!