Today is a new day and things are much better. Gulnara helped me push the bed against the wall yesterday, so freed up a 3rd of the bed previously occupied by pillows. Gave him plenty of room to roll around during the night without disturbing me. I'm happy to report a solid 7 hours for myself! Could easily sleep another uninterrupted 12; maybe when he's in third grade? I had thought of the suitcase, a drawer, or just a pallet on the floor, but the first two were too small, and the floor is cold and drafty. One point on which I will agree with the babyhouse nannies! And I was not able to sleep when he was napping, just too much going through my head. Seems we are adjusting now.

The sleepsack helps too. He can't crawl very well with it on, so by the time he tries to climb the pillows he's frustrated and crying and Mommy knows he's up and about. He will babble and play by himself in his "crib" now and I can leave the room at naptime. It bothers me in some ways, as I know this was a large part of his orphanage life, but if I stay in the room he thinks it's playtime. I started to drift off yesterday while lying on the bed with him and every time I would open my eyes he would giggle and squirm. New form of peek-a-boo. It is really hard to not play with him cuz he's just too cute! I've broken the rule several times now already!
Still no heat, but the hot water returned last night! Hot shower is on the agenda for me and a bath for the little stinky one. It's rainy today and seems a little warmer. Our schedule is messed up, but we are doing fine. Keeping the order, but probably not the frequency. We're at two daytime naps and a bit longer playtimes. Seems to be working for both of us. He is adapting like a champ. I strongly suspect that the "naptimes" they have on the schedule found him playing in the crib, not sleeping. Challenge now is to get bedtime to be a little earlier. Gulnara stopped by yesterday to drop off all of his official paperwork. I glanced through the translations and saw in the medicals that he is considered a "cheerful and playful" baby. :) Couldn't agree more. Also saw a diagnosis of rickets, which is the first time that one was mentioned. Certainly common in these kids and he is getting vitamins now, so hopefully won't progress.
I was also scolded for several things. Felt like the unfit mother for about 15 minutes then got over it.
1 -- I didn't have a footed onesie under his pants so his legs were cold. Um, I had to wash 3 of them (all I brought) the day before because of diaper explosions and they were still not dry. See no heat comment above. Even though when he did have more on he would break into a sweat.
2 -- He was reaching back to his neck while they were here. I'm supposed to be massaging his neck to help resolve his "neurological problems" from birth. I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with the scratchy tag on his shirt. ;)
3 -- He was hot and sweaty and if I let him have a high fever he would have heart problems. Yep, he was running a little warm, but he had been wearing multiple layers including a fleece jacket and he has a cold and is teething. I did give him a tiny bit of Tylenol and it seemed to help, but he certainly didn't have a high fever.
4 -- Wrong hat. Score one for the Kaz team. I have a little baseball cap, a fisherman's hat (all from the hot days of August) and brought a little winter cap, but it is fleece and too warm. I pulled the hood of his fleece jacket up over his head, but it doesn't cover the ears very well. So we are going hat shopping this afternoon.
Then they asked about his eating and food. Told him he is a great eater (which he is) and left it at that. I am still struggling a bit finding the right "porridge" stuff, but we are eating plenty, including good formula, juice, kefir, bananas, baby yogurt, and jars of baby food (fruit/cereal combos). I hope to get some seasoned help at the grocery store from the Almaty team in this area. I was then ordered to call Ainura who would call Gulnara if he got sick(er). I'm thankful for the offer of help, but felt the grumblings of Mama Bear for the first time. :)
Turns out we're headed to Almaty tomorrow as my passport will be released today. That is all we've been waiting for in Aqtobe. They have to register your passport upon arrival and apparently that process takes several days. Anyway, I'm looking forward to settling in Almaty for a few days and meeting up with Susan, Joe and the beautiful Leeze Grace.
Despite my whining over the past couple of days, we've been having a really good time. He truly is a joy and I'm loving him more every minute. He laughs non-stop at the baby in the mirrow and he laughs at my singing! Guess that is better than covering his ears! He has also learned that if I walk the 6 feet to the kitchen, that rather than cry, he can crawl after me and then sit and smile at me! Progress! And he is cruising back and forth on the sofa and quite proud of it.

Also has a fascination with every cord or string-like thing in the place, be it on my laptop or the phone wires that are all exposed running along the baseboards. That and the fringe on the dining room tablecloth. He and Callie have a lot in common already! Already have my first Mommy wounds too. Bite marks on my shoulder and bruises on my chest from him crawling, standing, and rolling on me!

I know the pacifier is working overtime, but it does seem to help comfort his teething. If not the pacifier then then the thumb or something else is in the mouth. He doesn't like the taste of the teething rings or of any of the other teething toys. Figures. I tried a little Baby Orajel and immediately after the pacifier was popped back in. He grabbed it out, looked at it really funny, turning it over a couple of times, then put it back in. It was too funny!
7 comments:
Oh my goodness is he too cute. Love the update and sounds like your doing just fine. I can't wait to hear about your Almaty adventures and I truly hope you get to meet up with the Serra's that would be too cool.
Have a safe trip today.
sandi
He is ADORABLE and I am SO glad things are going so much better.
YAY! Leeza is tooling around in her walker trying to get to the wires around my computer too!
It looks like we are headed to Almaty on Wed. her passport should be here Monday, so we could leave Tuesday, but I'd rather stay here as long as we can cuz it's nice here. :)
so, I will give you a buzz-got your number so we can hook up!!
It's been so warm here that I am not even makign Leeza wear a jacket...and I don't care if anyone stares at me.
Tatiana told me SHE IS MY CHILD and I can dress her anyway i want too.
In fact, she got a bunch more new clothes today..OH i am so bad!
so glad you got some sleep-that makes everything so much better!!
He is really really sweet, I love his lil overalls.
I am so proud of you Alysa..you are amazing-and you are doing fabulouso....
Leeza is eating al ot more now...she loves cheese and yogurt, but she shivers when she eats yogurt cuz she is not used to cold food. LOL
she eats A LOT. wow. I am amazed at how much a lil girl eats......and poops en return.
she is jamming to Mozart right now.
From Mozart, to Barney, to Beach Boys, to APPLE BOTTOM JEANS, BOOTS WITH THE FUR to AY BEBE...she is saying..I WANT TO MEET THAT BRADEN AND ALYSA MOMMA!
by the way, NO COLD water here this morning either. I had a freezing cold shower....brrr. Leeza sat on the potty and danced to barney and pooped while I froze my butt off!
the wind is blowing hard tonight and tomorrow they say it may snow?
but today i was in short sleeves and leeza was in no sweater, just a long sleeve shirt and light weight pants...crazy
Hugs to you and SO GLAD T HEAR everything is going much much better.
you are amazing and so is your son. :)
Hope to see you in Almaty girl!
I am so thrilled to hear things are improving. He is such a sweet little boy and I know you two will do great together. Just think, when you get back to the comfort of your own home, it will seem that much easier..in relative terms.
I like susan's comment above that she was told it is her child and she can dress how she wants. As a parent, you will get unsolicited "advice" from this point forward :) I've learned to take the good advice into consideration and ignore all the other stuff.
Enjoy your time together and send lots and lots of updates.
Alysa,
Wow 7 straight hours...that's great!! I still can't sleep with a child in my bed!
Get use to the comments! I still get them from strangers! Everyone seems to think they do it best and you just have to find your own groove and ignore the rest :>!!
New Mommy: Anna and I are soooo happy for you ! Brady is a doll. We look forward to more updates!
hi ya, leeza is a crab @$$ today so she is in bed. LOL
i was checkin in on you to see how almaty was.......
we are headed there Wed-get in at 5:20 and we are there thru monday-leave at 3:20 am tuesday morning the 21st. do you know how long you'll be there? I hope we get to see you guys. :)
ALYSA!!! He is sooo CUUUUTE! Holy moly. I am so glad to see tat you are doing well. Can't wait until I am there too! Enjoy! ;-) Andrea in NH
Post a Comment