As I walked out the door of the apartment this morning, I told Ainura that today was the day my life as I know it was going to completely change forever; that actually two lives were going to be very different from this point on. That change is babbling and playing not even a foot away at the moment.
We started the day at the notary (had to wait as he had a flat tire on the way to his office this morning). I finally got a picture of this process, although it doesn’t really do it justice. Kaz notaries sew the pages together with string. Staples are not allowed. It’s really kinda fun, but the poor guy was pretty shy and thought that I thought they were nuts. Not the case.
From there we went to the babyhouse. While we waited for the nanny to change Brady into his “going out” clothes, a little bird flew through a window into the bonding room. The poor thing was frantic at first, hitting all the windows that line the room on both sides. I opened up several of the big windows without screens, then once he had calmed down and stayed put for a minute or two, we sort of herded him towards the open windows. Once he felt the fresh air, he took flight and was free of the babyhouse and perched in a nearby tree. I was so glad he escaped. Even at the time, I saw the symbolism in that little bird beating his wings against the closed windows and then soaring into the sky once those windows were open. It was a fitting moment, for me anyway, for what was about to transpire.
While “Gotcha Day” is the culmination of all that we waited for, everything we sweat, cried, and bled for, the actual event was pretty quiet. They brought me Brady, all dressed in the clothes I brought for him, and we left. No fanfare, no tears, no sweet goodbyes, but without a doubt the most monumental day of our lives. We were barely out of the driveway, before I realized we forgot to pick up the disposable cameras I had left for the nannies to take pictures between bonding and court, and the notes I asked them to write to Brady, so he would have something from the women that had cared for him. So back we went. So much for a graceful exit. ;)
I am thrilled to report that I have just changed my first diaper in 30+ years. And his clothes, which were also soaked. First time I’ve seen him in the buff. Boy, do we need to do some fattening up!
I am not so thrilled to report that the “porridges” we painstakingly selected at the store yesterday are not even close to what I needed to buy. He has eaten it twice today, but the stuff looks, smells, and tastes like glue. I think I’m skipping the “baby” versions, and going straight to the real oatmeal and adult cereal, just thinned down. That may be what I was supposed to do anyway. Live and learn.
Other than that, we are doing quite well. Curious about everything, playing just like he would in the bonding room, giggling and crawling, but cries if I disappear from view for even a second.
Naptime was also a challenge. I have no crib or anything that even resembles one. When he started getting cranky (a good 40 minutes past his scheduled afternoon nap) I tried to lie down with him on the bed. No go, so we walked around a bit, then finally he fell asleep on me while I was sitting on the sofa. I waited about 10 minutes then tried to put him on the bed. Nope. Woke right up and cried and cried. So back to the sofa we went. I laid down and he fell asleep on top of me. It was really rather sweet, but hopefully will not be habit forming. After about 20 minutes I put him on a blanket that I had put on top of the rug in the living room and he slept for a little over an hour. His schedule is already incredibly messed up, but we are doing just fine.
The sleeping arrangements are problematic, but we’ll manage. Did I mention that they haven’t turned the heat on in this part of town yet? While it’s around 70 during the day, it is only about 40 at night. Insulation? What’s that?! It is chilly in the apartment at night and the largest bedroom, with the biggest and lowest bed, is in the coldest room. I’ve been sleeping in the second bedroom with the only two blankets in the place and that is where Brady will be sleeping too. After the diaper soaking today at naptime, I’m a little worried, but do have a small waterproof pad just for the purpose.
We are also without hot water, have been since midday yesterday. Gotcha Day was with little sleep and no shower (thus very few photos). The water is now ICE cold. It was bearable even for showering a few weeks ago, but no longer.
I’m told we can leave for Almaty on Friday. I can also stay in Aqtobe longer if I prefer. I’m thinking I would just as soon get to Almaty, settle in, and buy a stroller so we can get out and about a little more before we head for home.
Gotta run. I'm being giggled at and it is time to put away the computer and enjoy the company of my son!





9 comments:
Oh Alysa, I am all weepy! Brady is finally where he belongs -- with his beautiful mommy. What a fantastic photo of you two. A HUGE congratulations to you sweetie!!!
I am so touched by the incident with the bird. What a symbolic and moving moment. Coincidentally, one of Milo's new words is "bird."
I love that you are in "our" place. I am feeling a little wistful about it. I like seeing that familiar blue flowered blanket and the rug underneath it. Boy, it's hard to imagine that place as being cold since it was 104 degrees without a/c when I was there!
How COOL that you met Patrick and Eileen! I just checked their blog and don't see an update yet. I hope it's all working out well for them. On pins and needles...
Sorry Brady isn't sleeping well yet. I'm sure he's quite disoriented and will start to relax in a few more days. Enjoy this special time with him...he is a precious and beautiful little bundle of big brown-eyed love.
By the way, I think you should go to Almaty sooner than later if you are comfortable with that. There are pros to staying where you are too, but I found Almaty to be just what I needed.
I miss you and I'm thinking of you often. Give Brady a big kiss and hug from us.
xoxo,
Regina
Congratulations on full-time parenthood! Sounds like everything is going really well. Sorry about no crib. That is a pain and another good reason to head to Almaty.
Unsolicited tip: When you lay him down try shhhhhhhhhhhh-ing. Sometimes that puts them back to sleep if they are slightly disturbed. I rock Alia cradled in my arms (horizontal, so there is not a big change in position when I lay her down), Shhhhhhing or singing "You Are My Sunshine" or both. When she is just dozing off I lay her down and shhhhh if she starts fussing.
I love to hear that giggle - music to Mama's ears.
Scott has the opposite problem in Kokshetau. The heat is on in full force and it is a sauna. There are still "Siberian" mosquitoes so he can't open the windows. Even with the screens, they swarm into the house.
Next stop: HOME!
I'm only giving you one day to settle in before I'm knocking on your day. Can't wait to breathe baby neck. hurry.
Alysa,
Congrats on your first day of your new job! I love the pictures! Finally, they are not in the baby house! Wishing you the best and I am sure you will get the hang of it all very soon. Enjoy your uninterrupted time with Brady!
Susan
I'm so happy for you. What a beautiful family you make. Brady is adorable. You go mama!
YIPPEE!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy for you. Happy Gotcha Day! Oh how awesome! Loved the post, and hope you get hot water SOON!
Brady is so adorable! And he just LOOKS like a Brady. Really. He fits his name perfectly!
I love the sweet photos. He looks so happy with you! I'm so thrilled that you are a mom to that sweet boy. Oh how I wish you lived closer to me, so we could tackle motherhood together.
Sometimes when I would put down my boys to sleep, I would hold my hand on them for a few minutes until they relaxed and it would work. I loved napping with Alex until he was 2, so enjoy that too!
Congratulations on the new English family member. I know he is in an amazing place now!
Congratulations Mommy! And I love the bird story - what great symbolism. Sounds like you have a tough living situation but when you get home - even to all of your conveniences - you'll miss all this time focused only on Mr Giggly. You may want to try establishing a sleep-time routine right away. Sing a special song, rock him, pat him, whatever - but something that signals him that it is time to sleep. This has helped us get Miras to sleep in strange places. I know that you now have limited time to blog but I can't wait to hear more.
Alysa,
Congratulations on getting Braden for good! Seeing your pictures and reading your posts makes me miss that uninterupted new mom time with Madina.
I had the same sleep issues, I think part of it is the extra stimulation of being out of the baby house. The thing that helped Madina go to sleep at that age was being rocked with a bottle. After the bottle was done I would give her the binky and keep rocking. When the binky fell out of her mouth and she didn't move I knew I could put her down and she wouldn't wake up.
Enjoy your time in Almaty, it is a great city to visit.
Lori
Post a Comment